Running. The most natural thing on earth and yet so many of us are not used to it. Even worse, so many of us run wrong? Some years ago I thought that’s not possible. Just hit the road and run. Wear some good shoes and you’ll be fine.
But guess what? I was wrong.
When I learned about meditation I found out that I was even breathing wrong. Hello? Breathing… What can you do wrong with breathing. Well, I was only breathing in my chest and not in my belly. That way I was losing lots of my potential. It took me a while to train myself to breath properly which in the end, helped me with running as well.
I found out that over years I trained myself to breath only in my chest. Same happened with running. For some reason I thought it would be faster to run with big steps. Landing on my heal and rolling over my foot. After years, that started to ruin my knees and I stopped running all together.
So, before you start running (again) take some time to think about it (at least as long as you are not a 4 year old kid) and give your feet a pre running training.
Before you start:
– Take of shoes with heals
– Wear flat shoes, always
– Walk barefoot as much as possible
– If it’s too cold buy minimal shoes (link to the shoes section)
– Start walking with your minimal shoes
– Do exercise for you achilles and calves
– Do core training, Running is all about posture (link to core training book)
– Maybe you even get a personal coach. I recommend this online trainer: link to freisport make sure to tell that you’re coming from nativerunners for special conditions, when you contact them
When you start:
– Run barefoot or in a very thin sole (link to the shoe section)
– Run just until it starts hurting
– When it does, stop and walk
– When you never ran before, walk home when you feel pain
– If you are already a runner, change to your old shoes and finish your run in those
– Try to run in minimal shoes longer and longer every time
It takes time for your body to adjust. If you gave the wrong impulses for years than your achilles and your calves need to become stronger again and that takes time. At first it might be only minutes that you manage to run an thats okay. You’ll become better over time.
Try to create a certain running routine. Same time, same place and stick to it. It makes a huge difference when you don’t have to think about the when and where but just go when its time again.